Thread: Brake CLACK!
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
shadrach74

It's amazing how little it takes to make a racket with breaks. I went through a similar situation with my GS400 DD in the process of seeking out the clank, I discovered axial movement in my upper control arms. I removed the old and installed new ones. Imagine my surprise as I was backing out of the garage after completing that 5 hour job only to hear the dreaded clank. I did not have any movement in the caliper when I tried to move it by hand. But as I said, there is no way a man can replicate even light brake force without an implement. Anyway, I pulled a Tstone and just lived with it. This turned out to work well, because it got worse and worse to the point of clanking on rough roads. I thought I needed new struts, but I could not replicate the noise with up and down movement with the car stationary. Then I thought it was the sway bar bushings,but they turned out to be fine.... Once the symptoms were bad enough it was an easy to see the problem was in fact a caliper that was moving a few mm. Even then, it was not what I would call loose feeling until I really wrenced on it. Always use Loctite blue on caliper bolts.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote