View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
teleski

Can you clarify? You cleaned them with alcohol and that was that, or did you clean with alcohol to remove the sticky coating and then use the plasti-dip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
Hi all...this is actually my first post. I used to be quite regular years ago on PPBB, but haven't been on the car boards much in last few years.

Ok...so back to the subject of this thread...I went to get in my car the other day...and the level of stickiness was just too disgusting to ignore any longer. I researched the threads and saw about the use of the plasti-dip, but decided to try one other thing as a last ditch effort.

I have several different solvents/thinners around, and first tried Naptha...no go.

Then tried Denatured Alcohol...bingo! :dance: Worked like a charm to remove all the residual stickiness. We'll see how time will work on this, but getting them unstickified is a big relief. I'm wondering if there is anything I could put on them that would make them less susceptible to the effects of sunscreen or?? whatever else causes the stickiness.

I'm thinking about making some custom ones out of exotic woods, like African Blackwood perhaps, or some sort of light burl that would contrast the savannah interior. If I do...I'll post a pic.
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote