Thread: IMS adventure
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
Frank A

My buddies car is a 2005 boxster 2.7 tip with less than 45,000 miles.
The first thing I would have done would be to pull the pan!!

My car is a 2000 boxster S 6 speed with 118,000 miles. One of the first things I did when I bought it with 110,000 miles was pull the oil pan and all I found was a freeze plug from, what I am assuming, passenger side. but no metal chunks, or, if you take a close look at the oil pan on the right side just below where oil is returned to the sump from the head, no aluminum slurry.

I am a full time student at UH, I'm not a kid, so on my summer vacation I put my car on jack stands and went after the IMS. I did all the research on the subject I could find and went after it slow and methodically. I had the double row variant with no external evidence of imminent failure. Once removed and dissected there was slight galling and the outer part of the race had a weird s like pattern on it. I had no issues at all removing and the only thing that baffled me for a bit was with the Pelican Parts retrofit there are two spacers one for single row and one for double row. In the package for the double row was the spacer for the single and vice verse and the cover was not even close to seating, after looking at all my photos and staring at my 101 projects book for hours I notice in the photo of the P,P kit the spacers were switched. after that easy sailing. I checked cam timing 4 times just to be sure. On the Durametric I'm rock solid at -6, -3 on cam deviation. I corrected others work as well, all to do with the passenger side head, I had the spark plugs from a 2005 3.4, two different sets of injectors, and the passenger oil return pump was clocked wrong. While I was at it I threw two new radiators on, a water pump, 160 degree thermostat, and six flea bay injectors I had sonically cleaned and flow checked, spark plugs, and spark plug tubes and seals, removed and cleaned intake and replaced all o rings including oil separator line o rings. I know I'm forgetting some items. The only issue I have now is my once good clutch can't handle the re discovered power and is beginning to slip and my rear tires are beginning to melt.
Frank A is offline   Reply With Quote