View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
SolidWorks Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot152 View Post
looks good! i also have a double din radio sitting in the box in the garage as I have a hard time spending the $150 on the ebay mount kit.

how did you mount the lexan to the dash? is it just screws that are hidden by other dash pieces or is it held on via compression?

any pics would be helpful too. thx!
The lexan gets sandwiched in between the mounting cage for the radio, and the body of the dash piece. If you look at the dash below, the lexan would simply lay in the opening:

Obviously you will have to cut out that center bar that splits up the opening.

Then when you slide the cage in the cut out of the lexan, you place it in the dash and bend back the tabs of the cage so that the cage now holds the lexan in place.

If you want to go further, imagine looking at the side of the double din radio, there will be several screw holes on it. If you are good at measuring you can measure out that screw location, and then drill a corresponding hole through the side of the dash piece, and the cage, then once the radio is locked in the cage, you can screw through the cage and the dash for a very secure mount.

When you remove the the stock radio there will be a bracket in the dash that supports the rear of the radio. You can leave it in there but you will have to bend up the sides for the larger radio to slide in it (you will see it when you remove the radio). That will give the rear of the radio some support.

My last piece of advice is to cut out the opening for the radio cage before you cut the lexan to fit in the dash. Once the outside shape is cut, the piece gets very thin and tricky to hold onto when cutting it.
SolidWorks Mike is offline   Reply With Quote