View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 03:41 AM   #6
Bala

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermac99 View Post
Coolbreeze and Bala, I took it to my Porsche guy for the 60,000 service, since I had just purchased it, and didn't really have any service records. I asked him to check to see where the leak was coming from. He said that while he had it one the lift, he had a helper press the gas and felt the air coming from around the manifold, where it connected to the engine, only on the driver's side. I knew the leak was coming from that side, becasue when I cranked it up in the garage, it would echo off the wall, and really never got much better after heating up.

When I got it back yesterday, he said that after he got it off, it was cracked around the flange where it bolts to the engine. He had it welded and reinstalled. It really made a big difference in the sound and my overall driving enjoyment.

He told me it would only be an hour or two of labor, providing the bolts came out okay. He said they came right out, so that part went very smoothly. He replaced the metal gasket and hooked the manifold back to the engine. I'm sure glad he didn't have to drill them out or heat them up. Would have made the labor that much more.
Sounds exactly like mine. But i have it on pass side. I tried using one of those automotive stethoscope no luck. FInally I used a long piece of flex clear plastic tube (1/2"), out one end to my ear and the other to probe at every joint along the exhaust and bingo.

I definitely need to address it and have dealt with many a broken bolt so I guess I just have to get it started. It probably just needs one of those seals.

Thanks for the update.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote