View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
mikehkang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Holy expletive! This job is every bit as nasty as everyone says. Took me over 2 hours just to get the damn thing out.

The good news is that there is no oil contamination in the hose beyond the tank and surprisingly, there was no blood sacrifice (although if I could get the fkr that designed this system alone in a room for 5 minutes there sure as hell would be!). I also discovered that the previous owner (or his mechanic) thought it would be ok to fix a cracked dipstick tube with aluminum tape, so I'll replace that while I'm in there.

Given the difficulty of the job, I'm not putting this 13 year old yellowed tank back in as I never want to do this job again and from what I see here of other people's experiences, this thing is due to fail any time anyway. I'll replace the tank, sender, and cap and it should be good for as long as I own the car. Can hardly wait for the fun of putting this thing back together.

One curious thing - it looks like the oil filler tube between the manifold and the engine was installed with some kind of silcone sealant at each end. Should this really be necessary?

Many thanks again to JFP and JB for jumping in with their advice and reassurance. Yesterday was probably one of my worst panic attacks ever, right down to the instant cold sweat. I try very hard not to be a ham-fisted hack and when I do something this stupid it really shakes me up.

Anyway, even though it is going to be expensive, there was no damage done and I have a plan. Today is a better day!
Great job Mark.

I replaced my coolant tank a few months back and I know how difficult it is.
How did you access the hose clamps behind the firewall?
I had to buy a special tool and can't imagine how else it can be done.

You are almost there - keep at it.
mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote