View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
SolidWorks Mike

My $40 Double Din Radio Install

In my 97 Boxster I have the stock CD/radio unit with the A/C controls right above it. I had contemplated buying the $150 dash kit from eBay, but figured I could save some money.

The replacement radio is a Kenwood Excellon DNX6990HD which is a double din DVD, Navigation unit. I of course needed the antenna adapter, and the wire harness.

I purchased both the wire harness and antenna adapter from a local Fry's electronics for a cost of $25.

Next I stopped by Lowes and bought an 12" X 12" piece of clear lexan and some black spray paint that has a textured finish when it dries. I also ordered the trim ring for the A/C controls from Pelican parts.

Here is the final result:

And another view:

I marked out the cage for the new radio, cut the opening, then traced out the size necessary to fit in the dash and cut that. Then I painted it. I cut the necessary pieces from the dash and then mounted everything into the car.

By the way, do not ground the alarm wire thats connected to the stock radio, just cut the connector and cap it so it can't contact anything.
SolidWorks Mike is offline   Reply With Quote