View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
tonycarreon

IMS failure can happen on any vehicle prior to 2009 (when the IMS was eliminated). prior to 2007, the IMS can be replaced with an updated version from LN Engineering (or put a new porsche one in) without opening the engine. 2005 (some)-2009 require the engine case to be opened. if the IMS is going to fail, it "tends" happens before 100k miles, but that's no guarantee that it won't happen eventually.

in general, the engine should last a while as long as it has been well maintained. there is a post from an owner in FL who has over 300k miles on his original engine with nothing more than standard oil changes and a few wear items like the water pump and alternator. again, if it's been well cared for it should last a while. if it's been neglected then you can be sure something will happen, but that's true of any engine.

the best thing you can do is get a PPI before buying and see what's up. ask to see service records as well.

i purchased mine at 65k miles and am currently close to 105k miles. items i've done are the water pump, alternator, oil changes, tires, ignition switch and spark plugs.

but the old adage still applies - "there are no cheap porsches"