View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
Kanaric

90's boxster question

Looking for a smaller coupe/roadster type car to do track days and autocross with. Friend has a 07 cayman and I think its a great car but I already bought a '12 WRX for DD. Only thing is I have an 80 mile per day commute so i'm looking for a 2nd car to drive to work maybe 2 days a week as well as use it for fun.

I've seen a lot of sub $10k >100k mile boxsters around and I was wondering. Is this the case of the $30k Ferrari where you buy a car, thinking it is cheaper, but you end up spending so much money you might of well have bought a new one with what you will end up spending? Or are these cars on the otherhand fairly reliable at higher milage? I can do most work myself and if you see the list of cars i'm looking at I do not fear working on my car:

Triumph TR8, Alfa GTV6, Z3 M, Toyota MR2 turbo....

Coming from previously owning a 350z I want a car that the 350z promised to be but failed at basically. Which is being a light driving quick good handling out of the box 2 seat car. The Z handled like **************** and was heavy as a Camaro SS with anemic power.

Mostly been looking for lightweight cars, a 200hp or so car at 2700 pounds or so is fun to drive and I used to own a GTV6 in the past that only had IIRC 150hp and it was much more fun than a 350z despite the trans syncros always failing. Boxter and the Z3 might be heavier than that but i've actually been in these cars, or their brothers, and like the way they feel.

If these higher milage seemingly cheap boxsters I see around are to be avoided when I have other options that is basically what I would like to know.

edit: damn can't edit topic title typos...

edit: would a 2.5l have the issues in this thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/16822-shortlived-boxster-engines-survey-2.html

Last edited by Kanaric; 09-26-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Kanaric is offline   Reply With Quote