Thread: Tire Pressure
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
Jittsl
SPB racer

Garage
Stephen,

What he said ^

Try playing a couple of pounds up or down front or rear - preferably in a repeatable situation. Don't expect miracles however. These cars are designed with terminal understeer in mind.

I do not know anything about you or your driving skill level so please read this as nothing more than my opinion on how to deal with the "terminal understeer" associated with the Boxster.

No amount of tire pressure adjusting will overcome the understeer on its own. Learning advanced driving skills may however. These cars handle extraordinarily in the right hands and a little throttle off induced oversteer followed by a controlled application of judicious throttle will completely overcome the understeer if you are brave. If you are currently finding that the car is simply plowing when you try to go through a corner then I would be almost certain that you are running in a little quick, turning in and getting on the throttle a little too early and expecting it to do something different to what it did last time. Try running up to the apex under a gentle trail brake waiting for the steering to bite while the weight is still on the nose and then once the tail starts to naturally come around (as it will) get on the throttle hard enough to keep the tail slipping. The result will be a quite natural feeling oversteer. In this respect the Boxster is not terribly different from any Porsche. Slow in, careful transition from brake to throttle, fast out.

If all of the above means little or nothing go and spend some time at the PCAs DE program.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote