View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
sb01box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
I fitted a set of test pipes to my 2001 S Boxster last January with no problems at all. After saying that, I had fitted Che's headers a few weeks before, again with only minor adjustments to the fixing holes (they were slightly too small). I cannot comment re fitting the pipes to the standard headers.
However, when fitting the pipes, I started off loosly bolting the flange on to the header section, but no way could I get the other end of the pipe lined up with the muffler. The secret is to push the test pipe into the muffler and THEN adjust & connect up the 3 bolt flange end, pulling up the gap slowly & evenly with the bolts.
Of course, there could still be a problem with your particular pipes (or the wrong ones ordered / sent), but I must say I am very happy with my purchase from Che.....
I just received a set and am planning to install it this weekend. purpose is to see if the rattle is from the secondary cat (hoping it's not the primary cat).
a question on installation. It is my understanding that the engine/transmission is one piece when assembled. and that the header, mid pipe and the muffler bolts to the engine head and to the back plate of the transmission. as such, there is no need for bellows-like pipe section to absorb the differential movement that is present in autos with the muffler hanging from the chassis.
with this design, the test pipe bends should be such that the pipe just drops in and working the three screws/bolts at the flange will only induce stress into the exhaust system and worse to the head. this I believe is not good- and should not have to be done.
Is the assumption that when the pipe gets hot, it will auto-align and adapt and such the stress during assembly will be "eliminated" and all is fine from there on?

Last edited by sb01box; 09-22-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: slight verbage alteration
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote