View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
black_box
DIY extremist

3.8 engine going into my Boxster S

I am planning to begin work this week on an swap, putting a 2002 Carrera 3.8L (orig 3.6L) motor into my 2000 Boxster S. This motor has been rebuilt at 100k due to scored sleeves using the LN 3.6->3.8 JE piston kit, and has the LN IMS upgrade. I believe the conrods and all chains and guides have also been replaced. The motor saw about 5k of action in the Carrera, and it is very very very strong feeling, on par with a 997 by butt dyno measurement, it really puts you back into the seat and makes 2nd gear feel like 1st.

I know that the electronics will also need to be swapped, and I have access to the entire car to steal parts. I already have a very healthy rebuilt transmission, new clutch and flywheel, rear wheel bearings and half-shafts. I will be using Topspeed headers, test pipes, and OEM 986S muffler (to keep it ~somewhat~ quiet and avoid resonance).

I plan to remove the Carrera parts first, then begin swapping one part at a time, trying to get a running car as soon as possible into the process so I can spot any issues before it's all together. IE, do the motor, DME, immobilizer first, then see if it runs before doing secondary stuff like HVAC, ABS, exhaust

Parts I know that I'm going to swap into the Box:

engine, including intake and 74mm throttle body, MAF

7.8 DME

Immobilizer

Key transponder "pill"

CANBUS HVAC brain

ABS 5.7 Brain w/ TC

Gauge cluster

OBC 4th lever

wheel speed sensors (for 4-channel ABS)

fuel pump with return input

engine wiring harness

Things that I'll to fab up, or otherwise obtain (* means optional, although I ought to do it):

some way to extend the camshaft position sensor and VarioCam II wires to the back side of the motor

CANBUS wires to HVAC, ABS unit (think I can just use off-the shelf twisted pair cable and some shielding)

fuel line with return

either some spacers to lower front engine mount for clearance OR 987 engine lid so I can retain 996 intake with both resonance flappers

*rebuilt fuel injectors

*new ignition coils

*987 airbox and filter

*silicone coupling for MAF to airbox

*Porsche or Quaife LSD to install into my rebuilt 6 speed Boxster trans

*997 shifter

*DME tuning and flash to take advantage of headers, cat deletes, remove SAI CEL

-------------------------------------------------------------

Please please please give any tips and advice, as I've never done this before. I am going to try to avoid breaking anything, but realize that's inevitable... Anyone in the NY area is welcome to come by and lend a hand too; I'll buy you beer and let you take a spin when it's done!

I will be posting pics and build progress as I go, and am hoping to finish the job in 2-3 weeks of a couple hours a day. Looking for a 986 that will hang in the corners with 987 S (after a little more suspension work) and accelerate on par with a 997 C2 for about $20k all in. Too bad I can't do much about the crappy worn out 986 interior....
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote