Thread: Black HIDs
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
boxster7614

Thanks guys, I'm very happy with the way they turned out I really think it does update the look of the lights.

I really didn't use any specific guide. This is not the first pair of headlights I have retrofitted. Years ago when I first purchased my clear lights for my 986 I ordered them separately off ebay and it turned out one was for a 986 the other was for a 996. I assumed they were both the same however, some of the 996 lights had an extra chrome piece in them. I wanted to remove this extra piece and I had heard you could bake open headlights, as I had an extra set of the amber lights lying around I started experimenting putting them in the oven. I broke the first light trying to get it open.....its not like you just heat them up and they pop off! It takes some considerable and careful prying and pulling to get them apart. Once I learned how to open them playing with my old lights, I felt comfortable enough to open my new light and remove the extra chrome insert.

I don't like taking my car to a mechanic, I fix everything myself. I do all my own customizing including paint and body work. I have done a lot of work for friends and friends of friends. Retrofitting headlights isn't the hardest thing to do but it does require some skill with a soldering iron, using the right sealant, quality parts, painting, grinding, cutting and baking LOL It also require an eye for detail. google is your friend try typing in theretrofitsource and see where that gets you, there are many forums out there with guides to learn from. As far as cost goes you can look up that place I mentioned above to see what the parts would run.

I would be willing to do a few sets for board members while I have time if you want to ship me your lights. PM me for details but it ends up: shipping cost + $200 Labor + $200 projectors & supplies + what ever ballast & bulb kit you choose to use. I just use the $50 ebay ones and have had great luck them. I would think by time you ship them you could end up at right around $500 total. Definitely not looking to get rich off this just trying to give you guys some options but I can't do it out of the kindness of my heart as it take me about 3 days to do a set.
boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote