View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #25
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceatlantic View Post
I got an SMT6 from Virginia Speed new for $225. It did not come with a USB or serial cable so Ive got to get one off those to allow program changes.

Next step: Get an EGT, air/fuel gauge (not read anything about these yet but I get the theory) and the wide band O2.

One thing Im not sure about: does the wide band o2 replace and existing sensor and feed its output to both the ECU and the piggy back computer? Or does have to be mounted in a separate location? If so where?

Does anyone have any recommendations for these sensors?

The plan is to install all these and get baselines. Id be happy to share my results.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, do share your results, be good for a lot of people I'm sure.

Usually the A/F gauge comes with an O2 sensor.

You can weld in a separate stainless steel bung (from ebay) or, replace an existing NB (narrow band) sensor with the WB (wide band) sensor. There are pros and cons to each method. The O2 gauge/sensor setup will fake a NB signal to the ECU. So ya, it replaces it.

E bays a good source for egt sensors. There are a couple different (types...E,J,K) or something). Every little Cessna has at least one. The simplest is just like a hose clamp with the probe/sensor stabbing in towards the center. Really easy to put in. There's another kind that's like a washer that slips over the business end of a spark plug. Again, there's pros and cons.

An airplane gauge is good, very high quality, inspected by the FAA every few years etc, etc. Ugly though. You can also just get an adapter that boosts the sensors output (tiny, mill-ivolts) up to a 0 - 5v signal/output. Then, there's Lots of ways to make that usable, (a DMM (volt meter will work)). Lot's of typical of the shelf gauges at a box auto parts use a 0-5v signal. You just need to match the readings from the gauge with known temp values (I.E. at idle, you read say 3.2 on your gauge, that might equal 600c, flat out you read 4.2, might =700c)

Regards, PK

Last edited by pk2; 09-15-2012 at 01:43 PM.
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote