View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #20
Mrmaddbrad

Garage
I've always had the mentality of not doing to much all at once. Do what you can, or want to. Lay a coat of wax on what you've completed and be done. Go for a drive. Enjoy your work. Next time it needs washed, wash it and do another section.

I do completely agree with Spinnaker. Straight lines do not create swirls of course. And the line equivilant of swirls are nearly unnoticeable on a well waxed car even in the blazing sun.

If you don't know where to start, just do the convertible top cover section. It's small and easy. Clay, rubbing compound, polish, glaze, and wax all in about 20-30 minutes. It'll look amazing and probably entice you to do the entire trunk.

HOWEVER! I don't agree on the bit about how it doesn't matter what products you use, its how you use them. Yes, its true. But thats like saying, it doesn't matter what car you drive, its how you drive it. No matter how well I drive my boxter at a track day, it will never keep up with the 500+ hp Ferraris....

So what products? I like turtle wax for all my polishes. They're great and have been around forever. But polishes don't make as big a difference as the wax does. Since wax is on top, its what everyone sees. It makes a huge difference. Best bang for the buck? Ziemol. Spend the extra money. Drop $60-100 on a can of color correcting wax. Bavarian Auto carries Ziemol if you dont know where else to look. There stuff is impressive and if you've never used an expensive wax, you'll be blown away.

Happy Boxstering.
~Brad

EDIT: Joel, the Black Box, is by far the best, cheap wax out there if you have a black car. It hides all those little rock chips in the hood, smells good, and is a rather decent wax. But it does require you to lay a full two coats of wax on your car. I would also recommend claying it before hand. But it does work great!!

Last edited by Mrmaddbrad; 09-12-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote