Thread: Black HIDs
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
boxster7614

Black HIDs

Just got done with another set of HID retrofits this set is all mine!
No more blinding glare with just those "swap out the bulb" HID kits, I don't know why I haven't gotten around to this on my own car before now.

Before
hid6

After
hid3

It's kind of hard to see in these pics but they do have CCFL angel eyes
hid1
hid2

I toyed around with leaving the chrome reflector but I liked the solid black better
hid5

If anyone cares or follows HID retrofits: this setup I used the Morimoto Bi-xenon mini H1 projectors and angle eyes. I designed a custom side specific foreground and cut-off shields that I have fine tuned, along with a custom hinge pin to eliminate any sticking problems the mini H1 suffered from. The ballasts are mounted to the back of the headlight housing just like the original Litronic set up. This means a clean factory look install with no messy wiring kit to play with every time you have to remove the light, its just plug and play. As far as people telling you need a relay/wiring kit to run HIDs, this may be true with some vehicles wiring but our cars already support wiring for the HID/Litronic lights from the factory. The only difference was a control box and suspension sensor used for the auto leveling feature in the Litronics. The aftermarket ballasts also draw less current than the OEM ones, thus the relay wiring kits are really just overkill. But if you like sales "scare tactics" by all mean feel free to run a wiring kit they don't hurt anything, the're just messy, more complicated and not needed.

So I don't know if this is breaking any rules on here cause I'm not a vendor. I'm just trying to help my fellow Porsche buddies out. I'm seeing these cheesy aftermarket LED headlights selling on Ebay. I just wanted to let you guys know what is possible customizing the original Porsche lights and retaining OEM quality while retrofitting a projector that is designed for HID (not a halogen projector like the Ebay ones) with a clean cut off and a brilliant color output that rivals the stock Litronics. This can be done for a fraction of the cost. I don't want to break any rules on here so I won't list any prices. So feel free to use this as guide for inspiration on your own DIY retrofit, but for those of you who feel this type of project is a little over your head PM me and we can work something out. Obviously if we get a group of people together I can get a better deal on parts buying in bulk and save some $$.

Last edited by boxster7614; 09-10-2012 at 12:03 AM.
boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote