Thread: Big Bear Run
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Topless
Track rat

Garage
A glorious dawn assault on the Big Bear road! The plan was to meet several other drivers in Fontana and go up together. My brother and I went by the Lowes parking lot but didn't see any other Porsches... no matter. We headed towards Hwy 330 at about 6:50 am. The sun was just rising and it was 72F. Nice!

On the way up, there was moderate traffic but most drivers were pretty courteous and let the fast moving Boxsters play through . We got to Big Bear Lake about 7:40 and went by a friend's cabin which is located right next to Bear Mtn Ski Resort. Hung out there and chatted for about 30 minutes and then headed out Hwy 30 over Onyx summit (8400ft) and south towards Redlands.

The drive out was through light traffic and only one CHP was spotted handing a ticket to a motorcyclist. The speed limit for most of this drive is 55. We were careful to watch our speed on the straights but you could nearly maintain that through most of the turns as well. Big fun and no tickets! As we came down the hill, my brother headed towards Hanger 24 Brewery Hangar 24 Craft Brewery but they didn't open til 11am. Rats! Unsatisfied and thirsty, we found a small hole-in-the-wall Mexican food cafe serving breakfast burritos. I went for the Machaca and it was excellent. With full bellies and satisfied smiles we turned back onto 210 West and headed home at around 10:30 AM. Four hours of top down Boxster bliss. I can't think of a much better way to spend a Saturday morning in SoCal.

Last edited by Topless; 09-08-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote