View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
dbear61

Mostly Fixed

Well, I think I have this mostly fixed. I ordered TWO ignition switches from NAPA ($11.49 each) last week and picked them up last Saturday.

Using the replacement steps from Pedro's Garage, I scooted into the footwell and removed the A/C duct and pulled the wiring harness. That's where I came to an impasse.

I honestly don't know how ANYBODY with arms longer than 30" could do this. No matter how I positioned myself, I could not get my arm in a position to reach a screw driver up to the set screws.

I had to enlist my daughter to do this. This mornining I showed her the procedure on Pedro's site, she crawled in, and after much complaining, aggravation, etc., got the screws loose to the point of being able to pull the switch out about 1/4", and it stuck. Wouldn't go back in, either. I figured the worn switch had rotated a bit when released from the notch in the housing and was now out of alignment.

I had her loosen the screws a bit more, and out it came! The replacement slid right in, I put everything back together, and what a difference in the feel of the startup.

I still get the single beep when locking the vehicle. Everything is closed up, so I'm not sure what else is amiss, but it doesn't seem to be creating any problems at this point. Plus, I feel better with that audible confirmation that the vehicle is locked.

The PO had an aftermarket radio installed "professionally", so maybe the grounding wire wasn't handled properly.

My non-mechanical daughter now gets the bragging rights that she fixed my Boxster.

Bear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote