View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #25
ProjectM96

I installed the Top Speed Test Pipes and Cat-back exhaust on my car. Had lots of problems associated with fitment and quality. But the sound is amazing and nearly perfect. I love how it is quiet at normal driving, but gets loud when you hit the throttle.

1. The Test Pipes were bent at too much of an angle. I had to use every ounce of my strength to bend it into the catback exhaust U pipes. And then the test pipes ends were much smaller in diameter than the U pipe diameter. Not even an exhaust clamp can hold it in place or help. Because of this, I have an exhaust leak coming out in between the muffler U pipe and the test pipes. Only solution is to get a Muffler shop to bend the pipe and expand the outside diameter of the test pipe ends to meet the inside diameter of the U-pipes.

2. The Cat-back Exhaust fitment was horrible. The side of the muffler had pipes sticking out that attach to the U-pipe, which then attach to the test pipes. Those side pipes were different diamaters on each side(1 too small, 1 too large). I had to get an exhaust shop to expand the U-pipe inner diameter to fit the catback exhaust on one side, and expand the muffler side pipe diameter on the other side to make the U pipe fit on the other side.

2.1. The Catback Exhaust tips are crooked and they touch the bumper, making it a fire hazard. The Top Exhaust Bracket was welded on very crooked from Top Speed. To solve this, I bought a Dremel and extended the holes in the top exhaust braket so I can change the angle so that the tips look straight.

2.2. The top exhaust braket on the cat-back exhaust is in wrong location-set up too close to the tips. They should have pushed the bracket back towards the engine/test pipes another 3 inches for proper fitment. This was the main reason why the tips were touching the bumper. The bracket location forced the system to be tilted and pushed against the bumper. In addition to using the dremel, I bought longer exhaust bolts and put a bunch of washers in between the top exhaust bracket and its mounting location to straighten the entire system.

It takes some work. This system is cheap for a reason. But one you finish with the installation and creative solutions, the reward is great sound and looks. All in all, I think it is still worth it when you consider that Fabspeed or anyone else would have cost an extra $1000+.

Last edited by ProjectM96; 09-06-2012 at 10:03 AM.
ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote