View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #39
black_box
DIY extremist

I bought my 2000 S last May with 90k on body, 25k on motor, freshly rebuilt gearbox. I put a few weeks of daily driving on her, did the brakes and oil, checked what I could and then started a 10,000 roadtrip across the USA and Canada.

My problems were:

water pump seized a few hours into the trip (fixed on roadside with walmart-sourced tools and NAPA pump)

Bubbled tire somewhere in British Columbia, fixed in Washington state

parking break microswitch stopped working and prevented top from going down -- removed and cleaned, works fine since

top cable rod broke in san francisco, operated on one rod until the fall, used my arm to bring top up evenly

wheel bearing started squeaking on Vancouver Island, sort of ignored this until I got home and fixed myself with SIR Tool B90 extractor

front brakes started grinding, again in BC! This went away, mostly, on it's own although the rotors warped a bit. Replaced discs / fluid / pads myself this spring

I am considering blowing out of town again soon for another 1500 miles now that I've done the clutch/IMS. I'll bring some small tools, and my wallet!
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote