View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Eric523
Boxster Abuser

3.6L Boxster GT Racer

Been sharing a bit of my GT class Boxster build over the last few months. After a year and a half in the BSR I decided to make a jump to GT class power/weight racing. Considered selling the BSR and trying to get a cup or build a 911 car, but the Boxster platform has been so much fun to drive.

Sold off the motor, 5 speed transmissions, Pss9's, all the wheels and started to buy parts for the upgrade.

Basic parts I collected for the project:
Got a 3.6L M96 motor that had an IMS failure at 49k miles.
Picked up a G86.20 Boxster S 6-speed trans that was built for a GA car with steel synchs and short 3-6 gears.
Got a set of 4 front Sachs double adjust cup shocks.
Also acquired a Pectel ECU and Motec CDL dash.

Last day on track as a BSR

Ready to come apart

Some of the goods

failed ims shaft 3.6L M96 motor

Rebuilt the motor with some new Carillo rods, fresh rings, a repaired IMS shaft and L&N bearing, slight clean-up on the heads, fresh valve job, removed the P/S pump, all secondary air injection, removed the A/C and heater, installed an under drive pulley, flipped the intake, installed the "motorsports" air/oil separator and a few other little things.

Expecting to get 315-330rwhp out of the car with 91 octane, a bit more on race gas. Will likely limit the car in the 305-315 range to keep the car weight down between 2750-2850lbs. When running the car uncorked, it could potentially be at 345 and 2650.
Eric523 is offline   Reply With Quote