View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #20
Frodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
A loose condition is definately recoverable, in all conditions, it just takes some practice
Yeah, I think that's true in the large majority of cases. Have to admit to one handicap that evening: did have a Dewers (ONE) under my belt at the time, never a problem before when things that I've experienced before behind the wheel happen to me---and I've been driving a lotta years (40+). But this I'd never experienced in the Box before. The summer tires were cold---I guess it was in the low-40s, and with the precip on the road (it wasn't raining when I left home), it seemed like they become hard, inflexible, slick. My tread was very good. There was nowhere near enough water on the road for hydroplaning to be an issue (especially with the deep tread). As noted, it was a pretty half-hearted acceleration producing the spin-out---I don't think I was doing any more than maybe 30 mph. And (I failed to mention in my earlier post) I did counter-steer properly. BUT I suppose, with the scotch on board, that response was probably a few microseconds slower than it would otherwise have been.

But this was VERY different than anything I had experienced before. I have, in a pretty major way, broken the tail end loose in the Box before and, using the accelerator as well as the steering wheel, have been able to recover just fine. This time was different, like some big hand reached down and gave my rear end a sudden hard shove sideways. Nevertheless, when I counter-steered I was FULLY CONFIDENT it would correct, a confidence that likewise was measurable in microseconds. As always, correcting a problem such as this is a matter not only of doing the right things, but also doing them in a timely fashion! Live and learn...
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote