View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 05:13 AM   #8
shadrach74

Boxsters are built to be light weight and handle curves. The are not that stout in terms of durability. I have learned this the hard way as well. I bottomed my car out on an unfamiliar back road. It did not feel that bad, but when I went to shift, I realized something was not right. In my case both lower tranny mount bosses cracked. The tranny came to rest on top of the rear sub frame. Porcshe in it's infinite wisdom cast the bosses into the case, and do not make that part of the case available so the only option is to install a new/used tranny. The impact also destroyed all 4 CV boots. So I here ya, I had my Box for all of 2 months when it happened. The only good thing is that it forced my hand on the IMS as it did not make sense not to do it when the tranny was being replace. Keep in mind that my Tranny was never impacted, it was strictly inertia that did the damage.

What you did was a blunt impact to the car in an area and from an angle in which it was not designed to take a blow. I am not surprised at all that it suffered the damage you mentioned.

Light weight, rear drive cars should be driven with care in anything but bone dry conditions. A quick light rain will make the roads very slick because it's just enough to release some oil from the surface of the pavement but not enought to wash it away. Be careful out there!
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote