Thread: strut braces
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
Jittsl
SPB racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
i'd agree with you except that, from what i've read, a proper bracing design is actually a triangle; each strut tied back to the firewall on a diagonal such that they meet at a common point, and then a third member tying the two struts together. the boxster has the tiebacks to the firewall, but doesn't have the member tying them together and relies on the integrity of the frame. i agree than a thin bar isn't going to do much on compression, but will work on tension and perhaps provide some benefit. regarding the rear bar, uncertain if any benefit at all, as there appears to be a lot of structure there already.
I'm lost as to what you think this tensional improvement a brace is going to make that the reinforced bulkhead in front of the battery that ties both strut towers together is not already. THis is particularly true if you imagine it as a massive U section made by the front bulkhead, the horizontal plane over the tank and the secondary bulkhead in front of the dash. Even that U section has a braced top made by the substantial steel braces producing an effective box section. Interestingly I would have said that the front structure is considerably stronger than the rear and I would not concern myself about either. My SpecBox has neither front or rear ties (because we are not allowed too) and I do not consider it to lack any structural rigidity.

Having said that, if it would make you feel better it certainly can't make it worse. I simply see it as a waste.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote