View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
deliriousga

Talk about saving some $$$ on O2 sensors.

An O2 sensor for $10-$20? This blew me away!

I was reading a thread on the 928 forum with a question about what universal sensor would fit and have the correct mV output. As I'm reading, I keep thinking about the $90 universal I just bought at AutoZone for the Boxster that's still in the box waiting to be installed. (I purchased it in case the CEL from running low on gas came back). So, according to the buds on the 928 forum, the universal Bosch (and other brand) sensors have the same mV output with the difference being the number of wires. 1 for no heating, 3 for heated, and 4 for another type of heated. The screw size and thread count is the same for all of them. This means any 3-wire universal will work with the 928 provided you use heat shrink waterproof sheething, so I asked about the Boxster. Same thing, any 4-wire universal will work. (for reference, the thread is http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=238192&referrerid=27688
)

So....I'm going to be the ginea pig and try this out if nobody else has. Since I can plug in the handy-dandy AutoTap and read the output voltage of the sensors, I'm going to order one, put it in and see if there are any different readings from one to the other. I found a Bosch 4-wire on eBay for $15 including shipping. :dance:

It will probably be a few weeks to a month before I get it in (doing the 70K oil change soon and replacing the the spark plug O-rings so I'll do it then) but I thought I'd go ahead and post this in case someone else has tried this before. If you have, was it good or bad?
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top

Last edited by deliriousga; 11-15-2005 at 06:19 AM.
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote