Thread: 1/4 Mile Times
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #24
cheetah

To all those that think that one must destroy the clutch or abuse the car to drag race: not necessarily.

I ran my Boxster at the track last week as I said. No burnout. No revving and dropping clutch. Just an "aggressive" take-off, quick shifts, and hold on!

Could I run quicker if I put slicks on and dropped the clutch. Definitely. If I didn't have 1 3/4 degrees of rear camber, would it take off quicker, of course. Even though my car is not setup to take advantage of this type of racing, I ran very respectable times. I was keeping up with modified V8 Mustangs even though I would destroy them in a race with curves. 13.5 with driver error on my part is not slow for a street car. This car will see 12's with only a few minor mods that I am working on.

A drag strip can be a fun way of data logging also, as I can never pull to over 100 mph uninterrupted on regular streets. With the 3.2L engine, I learned that acceleration rates really decreased after 6400 rpm in each gear. This 3.4L pulls higher than that. A lot can be learned by studying MAF signals, etc.