View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #19
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
With the greatest of respect, I think this no mixing thing is total bull****************.

Here's proof, if you need it. A base 2.5 Box left the factory as standard on 205 fronts, 225 rears. The 17 inch option is 205 front, 255 rear. A huge difference - much more of a balance - altering difference than sticking with the same size tyres but mixing brands. And yet no children died!

As long as you don't go for something really weird, like snows at one end and high performance summer on the other end, you'll be fine.

I wouldn't bet $5 on just about anyone being able to tell the difference between having decent mixed tyres and the same decent tyres all round in a blind test.
I'll take that bet. Find a Boxster friend with very different tire compounds than you and swap 1/2 for a day. Mount A/S tires on the rear of your car and Max performance summer tires on the front. Take it for a spirited drive through the countryside to see if you can discover your new handling limits. If you don't stick it in a creek or back it into a guard rail you will still have a very clear picture of "Boxster gone wild". Afterwards you can send the fiver to my paypal acct or meet me in Dublin on St Patty's and you can buy me a pint.

It will be very evident that these different compound tires should not share the same car. Ask me how I know this.

Different brands with very similar compound, no problem. A/S 480TW on the rear, Max Summer 180tw on the front, PROBLEM.