View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Bruce Wayne

Garage
Quote:
I used to do it out of necessity in high school and because we had junk cars to strip which frequently had decent rubber left on them. I guess my only issue is each tire has a specific tread design, rubber compound mix and therefore they have differing qualities.
i have to agree with that!

different tyres, tread patterns and compunds react differently at different temperatures and circumstances, which can in a performance car that has excellent handling characterists slightly unpredictable.

sure if your going from stop light to stop light in the 'burbs it wont make a jot of difference, but if you drive on winding roads some moisture on a higher speed bend could very well give you a the 'gotcha' you dont need.

sometimes changing tyres can alter the cars handling performance

personally, i keep with the P-Zero Rosso's and have found the car handling excellent and predictable to the limits of tyre friction and have only spun the boxster once (my bad, took the set up into the bend a little too fast and wide and got the rear offside onto the grit that accumulates and the tyres let go ).

but then again, the main road in the area is the one that the racing driver Mike Hawthorn was killed on.

Quote:

Mike Hawthorn, from Mexborough in Yorkshire, will forever have the distinction of being Britain’s first F1 world champion. Hawthorn was the dashing blond hero who started to put Britain on the motor sport map. His title came with a second place at Casablanca in 1958, behind the man he was fighting for the crown – Stirling Moss.

Originally Hawthorn was disqualified for pushing his car but, in an age of gentleman sportsmen, Moss intervened on his behalf. The promising Stuart Lewis-​​Evans died as a result of injuries sustained in the race and that, added to the earlier death of Hawthorn’s close friend and Ferrari team mate Peter Collins, persuaded Mike to hang up his helmet at just 29. Three months later he was dead after crashing his Jaguar on the Guildford by-​​pass.

Mike Hawthorn | Influx Magazine
it's really down to your choice and the kind of driving you do and the conditions you drive in, tyre choice is equally as important and brakes.
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote