View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005, 03:16 PM   #1
farmboy

mount vibration?

i've been round and round on the forums reading about boxster vibrations such as the dual-mass flywheel vibration at 3000 rpm and the “oil valve" at 2000. diagnosing sounds on the internet is a ridiculous game i admit; however i'm hoping i can pick up a couple parts and do this fix myself.

what’s inside the dual mass flywheel or is it two separate metal places separated by a rubber adapter? what, per se, makes the flywheel on the 986 a dual-mass type?

it seems curious that i haven’t heard anyone say they eliminated the 3000 rpm vibration by exchanging in an aftermarket light flywheel. it seems such an approach would work as it’s a simpler part; but, i suppose it stands to reason that a new dual mass flywheel would actually have less vibration than a non dual mass aftermarket flywheel.

initially my vibrations seemed related to rpm only - a resonance at 2000 and 3000 rpm. particularly when the engine was cold. but then i discovered that by veering left i could intensify it, and by veering right eliminate it almost entirely. maybe it's one of the side engine mounts? how do i inspect the side mounts? must they be removed for inspection?

thanks!
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote