View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #16
tonycarreon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehkang View Post
Hello Tony,

Thank you.
I picked up 4 sets (20 qts and 4 filters!) for 32.98 each before tax.
I don't know if I can return the filters but if not, I can use them on my Outback and Sienna.

Now the bad news.
On the way home, the battery light came on.
The alternator is not charging.
I know you replaced yours. How was that like? There seems to be an option to replace the voltage regulator(!?) was that an option for you?
i was driving on I30 from Dallas to Texarkana, on my way home to MD when the battery light came on. closest town (Commerce, coincidentally where I went to college) was 15-20 miles away and i got the car there. stopped at O'Reilly and they confirmed alternator was not working. my options were to mail-order the regulator, and spend a few extra nights there and hope that was truely the issue, or buy an alternator from OR which would arrive the next morning. short story i spent the morning in the texas sun in a hotel parking lot switching the alternator i purchased from OR. thankfully i got a few necessary tools from walmart next door. not something i want to do again in the same situation. if i were at home, i probably would have ordered the regulator and tried that first. the actual labor was't too bad, just not fun when it's so hot outside. the bolts were pretty tight, and the alternator was a pretty tight fit. either way, the alternator must come out, if i remember correctly, since the VR is on the backside.