View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #47
Bobiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
I have a 2000 Base with 56,000 miles (91,00 km) and the original clutch. The car was meticulously maintained, with oil changes every 3 - 4k miles and stored winters. This winter I am replacing the clutch (although there are no signs of problems), installing a ceramic bearing and replacing the oil separator and serpentine belt and likely the water pump (as another preventative measure). I am also intending to drive the car in the winter when the roads are dry.

Overkill? Perhaps. I don't lose sleep over the IMS bearing; however, I do find myself listening for the dreaded death rattle and any other unusual noises each time I drive the car. For me it will be worth the peace of mind. In addition, we must also bear in mind that most prospective purchasers of used Boxsters will at least do a quick check on the net for reliability/issues and what are they apt to find? You've got it, nightmare stories about the IMS bearing. I have little doubt that the resale value will increase (as well as ease of sale) for any car that has been upgraded. Indeed, I would be suprised if it is not equal to the cost of the bearing and the additional labour invovled over and above that of a clutch replacement (which should also assist in resale).

Brad
That's a very good point. Providing that I was an educated buyer at the time, I'd be willing to pay an extra $2K for a new clutch and bearing. That really reduces the overall cost of the upgrade.