View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
AndyA6
Carnut

Soooo, what does a bigger throttle body do? Installed mine!

I thought I start a new thread about this.

Current setup:-

-No snorkel
-Stock airbox/filter
-Stock MAF
-Spectre hose to connect MAF and TB
-997 throttle body
-997 "T"
-Underdrive pulley
-Bypass pipes
-Drilled muffler
-Stock ECU

When I got my car I had the feeling it was somehow restricted, especially between 4 to 5,000 rpm it felt flat. Don't get me wrong, drove nice and all but being somewhat spoiled I wanted more power. Also, having owned and driven several 911 (old and new) and other rather powerful cars I think there was more available. Reading this and other forums I concluded I was not alone.

So I started to mod a bit, first was the UD pulley and Pedros Technotorque "T" and together with the bypass pipes, desnork and the slightly modded muffler things def got much better, no question. Engine felt much more alive so to say.
The sound was domintaed by the intake noise (like a deeper/darker roar) and the flat spot was almost gone, great success!

BTW, our long time Porsche tech at the dealership said "that thing goes, what did you do??"

More and more reading led me to believe that a larger TB would be the way to go. First I was thinking IPD but that piece is just so expensive!

So finally the new TB is in. Installation is straight forward. See other thread for details.

OK, intial observations:-

-Sound, this roar under WOT is gone, the engine note/intake sound is much lighter and suprisingly less overall noise. Finally the exhaust note can be heard, nice! Overall much more Porsche and not just intake noise.... I hope you understand what I mean!?
-Absolutely no drone! Very quiet at highway speeds and under part throttle.
-Engine feels way more alive compared to my previous setup, throttle response is "right there", nice!
-No loss of torque in the lower rpms.
-No more flat spot between 4/5,000 rpm, just smooth revs all the way, even powerband and great driveability, nice!
-at 5,500 "VTEC kicks in, yo!" Sorry, couldn't resist, lol. Having said that my butt-o-meter is very pleased, nice! At that point the engine just sings and the sound is loud and mean, just like a good old Porsche should be!
-Maybe it is just my imagination BUT I feel the engine runs smoother???

Oh, same tech drove my car again today and was impressed. So there, it's not only me...

How much more HP? No idea!

I wonder if I should get an ECU tune, though. That would be the last modification for me.
I also would love to drive either back to back a stock 3.2S or, even better side by side, anyone in Utah up for it? Not for bragging and juvenile "racing" but to get a feel if all this modding really does something.

Later,
Andy