Thread: supercharger
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005, 05:14 AM   #12
Biz-z Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by threpwood
After talking to a rep from imagineauto (www.imagineauto.com), I feel close to being persuaded in ordering one despite voiding the engine warranty...There is a lot of 'higher end' Porsches but not Boxster with supercharger.

Before I decide to burn $8000 in my pocket, anybody has any thought about the supercharger? Any opinions are welcome.

Just a couple things I’d like to mention, and I’m no tech guy as you will see:

Superchargers sound good and it seems to me we all crave more hp/tq. This one’s a centrifugal s/c which means you will find the max power you are looking for at the upper end of the rpm band. Is that where you want to go to get it? Nothing wrong with that, mind you. I’ve got a similar non-intercooled s/c (7 lbs boost) on my daily driver, a ’99 Miata. It zips right along but the motor has to be cooking up around 4500-5000 before the difference really begins to be seen. I don’t know of any centrifugals that give you a lot of real low end pull, and typically that’s where most folks want the extra muscle. You may want to ask the proprietor for a dyno graph overlay depicting the hp and tq over the rpm band on the Box 3.2 litre with and without their s/c so you can see where/when the power is delivered and whether or not that meets your driving style.

Another thing that comes to my untrained eye is there is no mention of the oil/ lubrication system other than the s/c comes with “oil for the blower”. The charger will need continuous lubrication. That means periodically you will have to go in and unscrew something and check and add oil to whatever reservoir it has as opposed to having a constant feed/return from the engine’s oil supply like Vortec uses. Some folks say those s/c’s with the permanent oil line last longer.

Presumably, if the s/c serpentine belt breaks, you can limp on home as long as you don’t get the motor up in the area where the GIAC software changes things. That’s how it is with my s/c. I’m kind of a “belt and suspenders” guy so that would be important to me.

Not looking to dis anyone’s product here and certainly the rest of the ladies and gents on this board are free to disagree and hopefully correct me if I’ve stated something wrong.

Having said, the little boy in me keeps saying, "Go get it and come back and tell us how really really great it is, so I can get one too!"

Zib

Last edited by Biz-z Z; 11-12-2005 at 05:17 AM.
Biz-z Z is offline   Reply With Quote