View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 03:26 AM   #5
Mark_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave928 View Post
1. 1mm lip is nothing, you can go beyond that.
The 1mm figure is a rule of thumb derived as follows (from the factory and the Bentley service manuals):

For the base model, front new thickness is 24mm, min thickness 22mm and for the rear it is 20mm new and 18mm min.

For the S model, front new thickness is 28mm, min thickness 26mm and for the rear it is 24mm new and 22mm min.

Therefore, regardless of the model, max wear is 2mm overall, or a 1mm lip on each side of the rotor.

This 1mm number is also stated as a replacement indicator on Pedro's site in the brake DIY section.

Or you can go with the advice of some guy on the internet telling you to disregard factory specs and established experts (Pedro) and "go beyond that". I wonder how far "beyond that" you can safely go? Well, one way to find out I guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave928 View Post
3. when i was a VW Dealer tech, i would recommend replacement if the pad material was thinner than the backing plate it's glued to
(~3-4mm).
FYI, factory specs for brake pad min. thickness is 2.5mm with sensors and 2.0mm without. Interesting to recommend premature replacement for the pads while suggesting that rotors be pushed beyond their service limits.

Also, not sure why you would want four 6000 jack stands for a 3000lb car. Seems to be a bit of overkill, not that there is anything wrong with that, but a set of 3000 lb stands is more than adequate,and much less expensive.

Last edited by Mark_T; 08-15-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote