Thread: Buying a Boxter
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
Johnny Danger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor T View Post
Hey all; Pastor T here. I found my Boxster. I paid $10,500 for a 2000 midnight blue with gray interior and blue top. Perfect condition, 2 owner, not a scratch or flaw anywhere. The guy cried when I pulled away from his driveway as he and his wife stood there holding hands. Due to "internal Engine Failure" the engine was changed in September of 2003 @ 43K miles. So the car has 86K and the engine 43K. I have all the dealer paperwork on the work. I believe all my IMS worries are over. Please let me know if you think I am too optimistic. Thanks for all your help and counsel on my purchase. Pastor T
Congratulations on your new vehicle. Not to "take the wind out of your sails", but failure of the intermediate shaft bearing is presumed to be an inherent flaw in the design of the M96 boxster engine. Having said that, just because your vehicle has a replacement engine, doesn't mean that it can't fall victim to IMS failure as well . Therefore, it's important to consider doing the IMSB retro fit procedure on your new motor in order to preempt a subsequent failure .