View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Eric G
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Good work. Is the bearing a single or double row? Is there play in the bearing? How many miles?
San... This is a double row bearing and it was filled with engine oil no grease.

The bearing had side to side play in the bearings...in that you can shake it and both feel and hear them rattle. Spinning the bearing it felt fine.

She just rolled over 92,000 miles on her when I pulled this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Nice work! Good timing too as your bearing looks to be much farther along than mine was. Locking the motor at TDC is definitely nightmare prevention on this job.

How did your tensioners look when you pulled them?
Funny you would ask this as there were several items that I found unusual. The tensioners must have been shot as the new ones appeared ~1/2" longer than the old ones. Mind you when I say longer, I don't mean the hard body portion, but the spring portion. The recoil on the plunger was soft on the old ones and very stiff on the news ones.

This does correlate with the harmonic data that I reported in my build thread, wherein the noise to signal ratio on my tensioners was the highest Mark had observed in his testing.

Here is a link to the first paper on what I am talking about for the harmonic data:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwYQrJT16ogVYlM5T1JCSXFta0k

Also, the new tensioners have some production changes in how they look but the biggest change is in the IMS tensioner. It goes from a 32mm socket type head to a 16mm internal allen head. Mind you it made for an easier install but it was a shock to see it when I pulled the new one out to compare!