View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #14
Homeboy981
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyturtle View Post
Any tips for painting the console and how to remove the textured/rubber finish that's on all of the interior parts (door pocket flaps and the console) so that I get a smooth result?
Hi SpeedyTurtle (nice name),

By "pocket flaps" do you mean the armrests on the door? If so, they are easily removed by taking a toothpick and "forcing" the metal pin out on BOTH hinges. Careful handling the piece as it has these cumbersome little "eye rivet thingys". Hard to explain easy to see when you pull it off - they will fall out. No harm done. Just make sure you find them all!

As far as the rubberized texture….Leeper has a "clean" idea about putting in the dishwasher. My wife has been very patient with my Porsche works but putting something like that in her dishwasher would land me in hot water! Maybe you could do that, wife permitting, and then take sandpaper and remove the rest. You want to use 3 progressively finer grades of sand paper, and "wet sanding" techniques, in other words….soak the sandpaper for 15 mins (use 110, 220, 400 grits for most plastic items), then a dab of soap helps it to slide well. Use enough water so the piece does not dry. The final step BEFORE painting is to use rubbing alcohol to remove all grease. I tried to omit this step and had to re-sand and repeat. Never did that again!

Learn from our mistakes and you will have a great project….just do not be afraid to take your time! Good Luck!