Thread: Clay Bar
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 09:16 PM   #6
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
I've used both and they've produced similar results. If it's your first time, don't forget that waxing isn't optional (which is why they include wax in the package) and for god's sake, wear a condom !

Also, be sure your car will really benefit from it. After you wash it, run your hand on the paint...if the freshly washed paint feels gritty, it could probably benefit from it but remember clay is best for removing the stuff you can't see, not the stuff you can see.

I second Randall's opinion about the detailer spray being good on it's own, but would be hesitant on using it on an unwashed car (despite the name quick-detailer). If using the detailer spray on it's own, be sure to read the instructions on the detailer bottle. During the claying process it acts as a lubricant, but when used on it's own it should be sprayed on a smallish section, spread evenly with a buffing pad or towel and then buffed off with a dry side of the towel (similar to waxing). Spraying and then starting to rub it off will produce streaky and uneven results.
Hi,

I don't like the Detailing Sprays at all. As Lubricants for Clay work, they're not as effective as simply CarWash Soap or Glycerin with Distilled Water.

I HATE them for between Washing Spruce-Ups, because your Car will often have fine Abrasive Particles of Iron (Rail Dust), Brake Dust, etc. clinging to the Paintwork. When you spray the Detailing Spray and then Rub it off/in, you literally rub these Abrasives into the Paint as well. People who frequently use Detailing Spray often have loads of minute scratches as well. You really can't Wash a car without actually Washing it...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote