View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #18
Eric G
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
A slow day...but a day of learning...

Well to say today was productive would be a good thing and a bad thing. Today started out with the intention of installing the AOS, Clutch Slave and Reservoir. Got the AOS out with not much difficulty as having nothing in the back end made it very simple.

Before I installed the new AOS, I wanted to replace the Reservoir since there was "more" room to access the hoses. Let me say to anyone who has replaced the reservoir without dropping the tranny and exhaust system and suspension...I tip my hat to you as you are gods among men! I could not imagine how you did it. So at this point is where my day goes sideways.

First off, here is how much space you have to work with in removing the hose clamps from the back side of the tank.

While I commend Porsche on building a good car, I would like to smack the back of the head on the engineer who designed this aspect. I have a feeling it was the same one who did the IMS. After fighting the clamps, cramped space and poor angle to see the danged parts, I realized I needed to drain the reservoir before I pulled the last hose. Getting inside the trunk I found that you only need to pull the carpet back right at the corner wherein I exposed the three bolts that hold the reservoir tank. After draining the radiator fluid I was able to pull the tank into the trunk and remove the final clamps. While the tank was not cracked, it was deeply colored, indicating the plastic was hardened and would not have held out much longer.

Couple of notes here: The new tanks do not come with the dipstick hole drilled. This was an easy fix and a little filling and the tube was easily reinserted. Secondly, you need to be extremely careful with the cooling level sensor at the bottom of the tank. It will be a stiff turn to twist it out and you need to be careful when reinserting it in the new tank.

Well, as I finished bolting it back in place I needed to install the second piece of the oil filler tube. That was when I found that the third tube that attaches to the engine was broken. Dang, this is going to be a pain. Before I tear out parts to get to this I decide to pull out one of my unique tools. I have a 25' 4mm borescope that I used to inspect how bad this might be.

The main computer unit:

The working end of the borescope:

I did not buy this for the build, but for a project at work that proves to be useful in inspecting internal parts of engines and other hard to see areas.

The scope found that at the bottom of the third pipe there was a crack that went 3/4 of the way around the pipe and is showed to be an old crack as there as a build up of old oily sludge that seemed to have been plugging the crack.

OK, this means that the AOS is not going to be installed as I will be pulling the throttle body out when the new pipe arrives.

So lets move on to the Clutch Slave...not! Seems I did not read the Pelican part list on the slave as there are two additional parts you need. The adapter and new hose. Seems that the old slave body was metal and had a traditional screw in fitting.

Well the additional parts Porsche is extremely proud of, the adapter is $160.00 and the hose is $140.00. In placing this order I added a few more items and tools so, this aspect of the build will wait till next week.

So tomorrow will be the front suspension and steering tie rods and hopefully a tad bit more productive.