View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
Homeboy981
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
Homeboy thanks.Linklaw and I are probably looking for the same paint. I don't have pics but the part I'm describing was an option in certain trim packages, possibly "sport design". At the base of the leather shift boot is a silver painted (?aluminum look) horseshoe-shaped piece of plastic glued to the leather where it meets the center console, which piece may be also plastic welded through the leather to the similar piece of plastic on the Inside of the leather boot. The latter piece on the inside is common to all our shifters, since it has the prongs that hold the shift boot to the console. On my outer piece, the silver paint is bubbling loose. Seems to be a common malady for this part, which I do not believe is available separately. I need to know what paint is best match, and how to prep & apply without damaging or bleeding paint onto the attached leather. I don't think I can remove it from the boot intact. Again, thanks to anyone who can help.
Hi Linkage,
It CAN be done! That is the good news. Since you are working so close to the leather you may need to "coat" the leather with a light oil (or Lexol might work). So that IF you DO spray it, no problemo. After that I would take great care to ensure plenty of tape is used and work the project under SOME HEAT, if possible, SO THE PAINT DRIES QUICKER. Either a hot day (should not be a problem finding one of those-too hot to put the top down) OR use a drop light heat lamp (make sure to turn it OFF while spraying-don't want to read about you on the news "Porsche owner sprays car and then the neighborhood".

Take it slow. Use LIGHT COATS! First coat SHOULD LOOK LIKE CR@P!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes and post some pics too!