View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #120
temporarychicken

I have just bought an early 2003 facelift Boxster s. The car was born with clear lights. I'm not sure of the build date but some of the plastic parts on the coolant bottle are date stamped with late 2002. The car is steptronic auto.

It has covered 112000 miles. I got it 3 weeks ago but I have done about 600 of these already at mostly 3000rpm due to a sudden spell of good weather in the UK.
The previous owner had the car in his possession for just over a year and only did just over 1 k that year. It must have therefore been on 110000 back in 2011.

The service history is good, but with no evidence that the gearbox has ever been off.

The car drives beautifully. Idle sounds clean and clear, with no oil drips underneath. I have a very sensitive ear for these sorts of things. I once had a triumph Stag which sheared the teeth of the jack shaft (same thing as IMS) on the M25 ands I can still remember the sound - these things leave you with a paranoia.

I feel my car is at risk from the IMS issue so even though the oil is only 2000 miles old I think I will put my own oil in this weekend and change the oil filter. Oil recommendations from UK owners will be most welcome.

This may seem excessive but it will enable me to perform a detailed scientific ferrous-contamination analysis on the filter cartridge, ie sitting it on some kitchen roll, letting it drain, holding it to the sun and checking for sparkly bits.

If it passes this rigorous test with no shining or sparkling, then my plan is to drive the carfor another 5k and then repeat the above.

Is this sane, or not?
temporarychicken is offline   Reply With Quote