Thread: Sound system...
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 09:39 AM   #13
RandallNeighbour

Threpwood, I do hope you understand that the speaker kit sold on ebay DOES NOT come with the rear storage compartment in which it resides.

You'll need to buy one of these from a dealership ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$) or used from Ebay when they pop up in your color, or buy one in any color and have the carpet replaced by a trim shop (usually cheaper and faster than waiting for your interior color to roll around).

I bought one for a red interior boxster and dyed the carpet a nasty reddish black color. I'm eventually going to have an upholstry shop tear off the red carpet and replace it with black carpet that matches my faded black interior.

Rear storage compartments are rarely sold on Ebay, so when they come up for auction, especially ones in black (which works with every interior color), they sell for a whopping amount... for silly plastic anyway.

And to comfort you, no, rear speaker kits are not hard to install, just time consuming and the install requires patience and a cool head. If you're smart enough to earn the income to buy a Boxster in Japan, you're certainly smart enough to do this project yourself if you're willing to tackle it!

You have to very carefully cut out or break off the cubby holes in the standard rear storage compartment to fit the speaker grills. Wiring is easy. Just put it under the rear carpet piece behind the passenger seat, run it along your center console (tuck the wire up from the bottom of the passenger side) and plug it into your factory head unit... unless you have the factory unit that has the speaker plugs in the amp in the trunk. That makes it harder because you have to go through the firewall.

Instructions should come with your speaker kit for part of the install. Post your questions on this forum if you get stuck, but add pictures so we can quickly help you!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 11-08-2005 at 09:45 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote