View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 09:18 AM   #11
deliriousga

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
It's efficiency drops off rather quickly. Another disadvantage to the Super is the Parasitic Loss since it draws Crank HP. In the case of the Jag XK8, at full spool up the Supercharger is drawing 86 Crank HP , there's still a considerable 100 HP Net gain though and the Super has little Lag.
Good point about losing the crank power. I didn't think about that. Either one would be a PITA to try and install in the Boxster because of the engine and exhaust location and no open space at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2519j
Regardless both are extravagant in cost that make absolutedly no sense financially.
Amen! For the price, you can almost get a new, bigger NA engine (or car in some cases). I looked into it for the 928 since several have supercharged theirs and raised it to 550+ RWHP. The SC kit's over $7K while a new engine is around $5K (not to mention I only $10K for the car). Add the other stuff you need to do it right (new fuel lines, pressure regulators, etc., etc.) and labor if you can't DIY and it gets nuts. The turbo kit's a little less $$, but nobody on the 928 forum has figured out where to put it yet.

While an additional 230HP would be fun, the risks of screwing everything up are too great. I can't tell you how many people have ended up with a burning car because the old (over 5 years) fuel lines could not handle the new pressure, burst and gas flew all over the engine. Poof!

If you want something that can practically fly, you can get a factory SC'ed Mustang, Jag, etc. and go really, really fast down the highway, but I'll wave bye-bye when we exit and you can't hold the road.

NASCAR or Formula 1 , it's a matter of your taste/preference and available $$.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote