Thread: 1128 & 1130
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #18
MN 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerber28 View Post
I've also had 1128 & 1130 codes on 2 occasions, both times while idling at a long traffic light. I've cleared the codes with OBDII reader and have not had a re-occurrence in the last month.
I ordered a Durametric and the scan showed a fault on the fuel pump relay.
My question is has the fuel pump relay caused the 1128/1130 codes or is the relay code a result of removing it to change the fuel filter?
I'm tempted to reset the fuel pump relay code to see if it faults again.
Even if it doesn't I'll probably order a new one, only $12.00 at Pelican.
I don't think removing and replacing the relay would cause a CEL.
What I read and learned is that 1128/1130 basically mean the car is running lean. Usually the car is drivable and the problem is often fixed by 1) cleaning or replacing the MAF or 2) replacing the AOS.
In my case, the car would not start or even attampt to fire (luckily it happened in my garage). The mechanic at a local indy shop talked me through possibilities and due to the non-starting he suggested the fuel pump relay as a likely problem (or if the relay was good, maybe the fuel pump itself). He suggested jumping the relay to see if the fuel pump ran, and it did. I even started the engine,,, it started right away, just like usual. I ordered the relay from the local dealer and was back on the road the next day. I cleared the codes with my OBD2 scanner and they have not come back.
Bottom line for my situation is that it was running lean (hence the 1128/1130 codes) because the relay was not running the fuel pump correctly.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote