View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 10:32 PM   #10
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Jim, any thoughts?
Hi,

AHA...! Different suspensions... ! My Guess is that there's a problem with your Ackerman Angle or your Scrub Radius. I know I sound like a Broken Record on this, but if your car's alignment is set to Factory Specs they very probably no longer apply.

Unfortunately, I do not have a clue as to what the correct specs may be. But, once you go away from the Factory set-up, you also go away from Factory Specs. The AfterMarket Companies don't offer substitute specs for their set-ups, which is unfortunate ( I mean Geometry is an exact Science and you can't just ignore it). I don't want to Harp on you or Single you out, but this is the issue I have been speaking about - Major Kudos to you for being astute enough to realize the problem - many wouldn't have.

My strongest suspicion is that your Scrub Radius has been messed up and your Tires are essentially fighting each other, causing the Shimmy. I mean you have already eliminated the Wheel/Tire combination.

All is not Lost however. Depending upon how Anal you want to be in solving this, I would go to an Alignment Shop specializing in Race Set-ups and let them have at it on an Alignment Rack. I suspect the proper Tie Rod and Toe Adjustment will at least better, if not eliminate, the issue. It could even be a Steering Rack, or Tire Pressure adjustment.

But, I also have a haunting feeling that the bushings may be involved. Since there isn't any alternative there (that I know of), a total solution may not be in the Cards.

But, again, depending on how Anal you want to be, there are a plethora of Bushings out there and one may work, even if it's for another application ( Ironically, probably a Yugo... ) - hope you have a Micrometer and Caliper, if not, you can borrow mine. Best of Luck...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 11-07-2005 at 10:40 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote