View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #18
Crono0001

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar10dah View Post
What was wrong with the shifter cables/brackets?
The cable apparently lost tension, and slipped out of the bracket. It felt as though the gear positions on the shifter had 'shifted' in position (haha). For example, third gear would go into fifth gear, and first gear would go into third gear, and you had to force it very hard to the left to get it into first gear. Apparently, it had worn down the little ear tabs of the bracket for the 100 miles from Tucson to Phoenix, so he recommended replacing the shifter and bracket.

It didn't make me start to worry until the clutch began to fail. Fixing the clutch was $2300 that I did not want to spend, and now the AC cut out and the car rattles at high speeds. It seems to stop rattling when you take it out of gear, let the RPMs go to zero, and drive again. The rattle is not easily reproducible, almost random at times. It can happen in any gear, even in neutral while you are revving up, and it sounds like a belt issue. You definitely feel it in the gas pedal when the car starts to rattle and shake. Revving it up makes it worse, but the car still drives fine. No loss in power or speed... just an annoying (and very concerning) rattle.

At idle there's also the clanky sound, which I believe to be the AC Compressor, pulley, or something related. Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy6JGnRo7Uo&feature=plcp

The clanking becomes even more... clanky... like heavy metal, when the AC is turned on. Full on refrigerant.

The reason I started this thread is because I wanted to know if my Porsche was just neglected and needed a plethora of repairs to get her back to speed...
... or if the 986 is as unreliable as it is fun.

EDIT: some more information. '99 Boxster 2.5 with 80800 miles now. Driven daily, bought it for $8,000 off some kid with a rich dad.

Last edited by Crono0001; 07-21-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote