View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
mathijs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Congrats on the unit, when they did the alignment did they inspect the other suspension components? There are many sources for a problem like the one you describe. Does the car drive smoothly? When you first get a Boxster the steering can feel twitchy because it's so much more precise than say a Ford truck as I switch back and fourth from. Otherwise if it's a real problem it could be a lot of different things. From worn suspension components to a bent wheel or need for balancing.
With all respect, I compared the wandering to a Lotus Elise I just got rid off, and the BMW M5, Caterham and the Maserati Quattroporte I still own. Not long ago I rented a Ford F150 in the USA and returned it after 12 miles because I did not had any impression of a connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels. I know it is hugely popular but I found it... well better not go there.

Yes the car drives very smooth, no vibration, feels VERY planted in corners. I have driven it a few hours at max speed on the German Autobahn and it the wandering feeling does not seem to change much with speed. It's just not as accurate as I expected it to be. The car has only 25k miles, suspension is fully checked, tires are standard and have only 2000 miles on them. The vendor tells me it is a sports car and is supposed to be lifely. That's fine, but of all the sports cars I driven this one seems to demand the most attention, every little rut in the road will try to get you on the grass.

Again, it could very well be the character of the car. To be honest I had a serious 911 and I sold it because it was just not my kind of car. It's a heavy sports car and I prefer a much lighter sports car, but I find the strange the Caterham that weighs 1/3 and has more power is much easier to drive in a straight line. That one seems to sense what I want, the Boxster needs to be told. I am not too worried, I bought this one for my wife and she will never drive it seriously. But I have this nagging feeling that there is something wrong and the car does not perform as expected.

I just wonder if there are people who can compare it to other comparable cars and tell me if the recognize the feeling.
mathijs is offline   Reply With Quote