View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 04:23 AM   #9
NoGaBiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighBoxster View Post
Porsche forums are the worst place to try to determine the answer to your question. Probably over 90 percent of P owners don't participate on forums. Of those who do only a very small percentage of them have had IMS issues. Many of us who have owned and driven these engines for years loosely agree that is seems as though less than 1 or 2 per cent ever had an issue of any kind.

Buy the car you like, buy an extended service policy if it makes you feel better but don't buy anything you are not completely able to pay for, maintain and repair if there is an issue. The biggest issue I see with people buying exotic cars used are those that buy them and think they have paid all they are going to. I have never had any repair issues with my cars but I suggest that you be able to pay 2-3,000 per year if necessary without it concerning you before you buy any used exotic car, especially one that requires removing the engine for much of its service, that has expensive repair costs when something goes array. So, in short, buy what you can pay for and drive it like you couldn't care less.
Couldn't agree more, on all counts. The idea floated above that there are "20,000 indies" and implying that if each one only saw one or two M97 replacements think how many that would be is misleading, to say the least. I venture that fewer than a hundred indies (maybe fewer than a score) have replaced M97s. Those are still fairly new, fairly expensive Porsches, and most people who have had a failure are still going to go the dealer route. And if they are going to use an indie, it's going to be one of a tiny number experienced at replacing M96/M97 motors. Of course, like everyone else I'm just speculating and extrapolating and WAGing, so take it for what you paid for it.

As to the second paragraph, amen to that. I would imagine nothing spoils the fancy sportscar experience like knowing a $1500 repair would put some serious pain on your wallet, or simply be undoable at present. But I think now that these cars are sub-$18,000 propositions (sometimes hovering around $10k), many are being bought by people in that position. I remember when my cousin bought a $7500 944 in the nineties. Talk about the tip of the iceberg!
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote