View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 04:57 AM   #7
limoncello

Another vote for schools.
I'm not nearly as experienced as MN - I have only done 2 DE's in the Boxster, will do my 3rd Friday. Not much I can add to their descriptions.

Costs:
1. One day DE at CMP with instructor: $225 for all day. At least 6 (or up to 8) sessions of 20 minutes each.
2. Tires: Figure about 4 DE days on tires, maybe more depending on the track, the temp, your style, etc. I run $100 tires because I know that I am consuming them. So, say $100 in tire cost per DE day.
3. Tech inspection (required) at a local shop: About $35 plus any work done. PCA requires new brake fluid on a regular basis.
4. Brake pads and disks: Depends on driving style. The rule of thumb is again maybe four days on pads, 2-3 sets of pads on disks. I drive with car conservation in mind, I hope to do better than average and keep my brake costs down.

Maybe $500 per day...

If I do 4 DE's per year that's about 2 grand (less than a set of aftermarket wheels). The experience of getting off the road, away from traffic and speed traps, and be able to focus on just driving is great. Being able to see what your car will do (yet safely) is great. Watching your driving style and smoothness (there's that word again) improve is great. The comraderie of spending a day with other motor heads is great. Two thumbs up.

Yep, my wife supports my "habit" too.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote