View Single Post
Old 11-06-2005, 10:19 PM   #5
TriGem2k

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by larez2
mjw930, you sound very knowledgeable about tires and wheels. I think you might be onto something. I have 18's - turbo twists. I had the same vibration/shimmy that you describe, most noticeable felt in the steering wheel. My tires at the time were Pirelli P-Zero Asymetrico N-rated. I got the tires balanced on a Hunter 9700 (and rebalanced). I got an alignment. I paid the local dealer to check the suspension and steering components and take it for a road test - the tards charged me 50 bones and said they "observed normal steering wheel and suspension feedback" and that nothing was wrong. I searched the message boards and saw that other people were having similar issues. I just lived with it.

Then the tires wore out I bought a set of new tires, Pirelli Nero's non-N-rated. The shimmy/vibration? Gone.

I don't know why there was the difference, it's feels like it's a different car. Maybe it has something to do with one of the tire models' sidewalls being softer as you describe. In my case, with the non-N-spec tires, there was no observed shimmy, and with the N-spec tires that I had before did have a shimmy.

HTH and good luck,
Larez2
I have the same shimmy on my car and dealer says it is normal and may be caused by wheels/tires. I have had 3sets of different wheels 17s & 18s and so many different tires on my car that i cant even count. Shimmy has never gone away. Can't find anyone that can explain it. Ive used both N Rated and Non N Rated tires. Same thing from both. In fact the Bridgestone S-03 were the only tires that minimized it to the point where i would have to pay attention to feel it.

Anyone with advise or an idea as to what it might be?
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote